Monday, August 17, 2009

Weight Loss Journey-August 2009


258.2-241.4

August 13th marked my 8 month anniversary as a Weight Watcher and several goals have been met.

First of all, I have my regular 6 month check-up with my doctor coming up this week. For years every visit to him ended in the same way--"Matt, you know your family's history as well as I do--if you don't get your weight under control, you're going to have terrible health for the rest of your life." I would generally scoff at his judgment and hit Mr. Ghatti's pizza buffet on my way home--you know, because I was on that side of town...

Well, last time I went in for my 6 month check up was after 2 months as a Weight Watcher. I had lost over 40 pounds and was (for the first time in a long time) finally weighable on his scale that only went up to 350 lbs. I was so proud of myself and that fool didn't say anything about it! He didn't even bring it up. Ugh...

I left fuming and set a goal to have lost 150 pounds by the time of my next visit. Well that visit is coming up on the 19th and as of this past Saturday, I have lost 151.8 pounds!!!! If he ignores 150 pounds lost, I may just have to throw him out of the window!

Another goal reached this month has to do with the last time I was on Weight Watchers. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used Weight Watchers as a DIET to lose a bunch of weight before my wedding back in 2005. I lost 109 pounds and got down to 247 lbs. Then I got cocky--I remember thinking, "I don't need to pay these people to weigh me! I've lost 109 pounds!"

As always, short term goals lead to short term success. I started to gain weight back immediately after I quit Weight Watchers. And I know that at this point, some bozo is going to use that last statement as an excuse to not change their life for the better--"See, you can lose all of that weight on Weight Watchers, but as soon as you stop following the plan, you'll gain it all back!"

Weight Watchers does not work long term as a diet. The beautiful thing, though, is that it is not intended to be a diet. Diets end. Lifestyles are forever. I failed to grasp that the first time around, but now I know it and live it every day! But I digress...

I got down to 247 and started to gain weight back immediately. Why is that significant? Well, I graduated high school back in 1999 weighing in at or around 250. So, it's official, with a weigh in this past Saturday at 241.4, I am now the lightest I have been since I was a senior in high school! That feels pretty good!

And finally, I cannot stop running. I started out in December, only able to do 2 minutes on a treadmill at 2.5 mph. I recently ran 7.5 miles in 1-1/2 hours!

Only 16.4 lbs to go to goal!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great Job! Keep up the good work! I'm learning Corinthians for quizzing and two of the memory verses are 1 Corinthians 9:24-25.

    Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

    Your journey brought these verses to mind. :) Keep running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt!
    Incredible blog. Thank you for sharing! I will definitely keep checking back. I can't wait to hear how your doctors appointment goes. My DH and I are both on WW, partly for health reasons. You are such an inspiration. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration. We love you so very much. May God be glorified with each step you "run". You (Jacqui and Logan) are continually in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete